Thursday, January 31, 2013

WASHER ARTICLES—STIR THE POT

Originally published in the Observer Eccentric Newspapers


Here are just a few of the many emails I have received on the subject of today’s washing machines. They are typical of the comments I receive in person. Patrick writes: Can you recommend a reliable washing machine mfg. That really washes clothes. I purchased a top loader a few years ago only to discover that its sole purpose is to be a federal government agency mirage. It doesn't clean but does knot and wrinkle everything. This is a fraud! How do they get away with it? These are Rube Goldberg machines that take an hour to do nothing, but they sure do save water. Where are the class action lawsuits to sign up for? Mary writes: Your recent article in the O&E newspaper was so informative! We are about to purchase a new washer and dryer but have some serious doubts about their quality. We have talked to salesmen in stores, and researched each machine online and we are more confused than ever. The dryers are so large now that we will have about 2 inches from the wall when the door to the dryer is open! You have written about the lack of water in the new washers. That scares me a lot. I don’t have time to redo laundry that comes out of a washer still dirty. Also, one of the big things with the new washers is the locking lids! Whose “not so bright” idea was that? I hope that my husband will be able to take that lock off the new washer. Diane Armstrong, a noted author and columnist in Timmins Ontario dedicated a whole column to the subject of clothes washers. She writes: About ten years ago, the Green Movement came into being. We were told to cut back on water usage and electricity or natural gas. Why, in the interest of saving water and utilities, don’t the manufacturers to back to the Suds Saver? They already have the blueprints. But this would be logical. Good Grief!! Consumers must buy and use a product to clean a machine whose initial purpose is to clean? What’s wrong with this picture?

A few columns back I informed you about this recent invention that mounts on the wall behind the washer where you hook up your cold water line. This product allows you to wash clothes with little or no soap and use only cold water. There is a whole video presentation on this product and if you’re interested you can go to greentechenv.com. I saw the video, didn’t believe it but had one shipped to me. I have been washing clothes for 2 weeks now and that’s a new venture in my life. I just can’t believe it but it works. It’s made washing clothes an experiment for me and the results give me the confidence to write about it. This may be the best invention since the microwave oven. I took a 6 year old Carhart jacket that has never been washed and it came out clean as can be using no soap and only cold water. I washed several other jackets and I was pleased. I took a green T-shirt and covered the backside with blueberry juice and mustard. I let that dry for 4 hours and then washed it with no soap and cold water. All that stuff just plain disappeared. I did about 10 of my under shorts and all that stuff disappeared as well. Not only that, but the clothes smell so good and fresh. Suffice it to say that this old guy who is such a skeptic has been made a believer and it will take a team of horses to remove this from my home.

To my knowledge I don’t know if there is anyone selling this product in the area and even if it was sold around here, this column cannot be used as an advertising format. I can tell you it will be soon available at retail locations in the appliance business. I expect this product can save between 3 to 5 hundred dollars annually, depending on how many wash loads you do per week. Isn’t it a shame that the appliance manufacturers couldn’t build this product directly into the design of a new washing machine? I bet that sure would stop a lot of complaints from unhappy consumers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment