Originally posted on Consumer Energy Report Site
This holidays is a time to be aware of some dangers that are around us.
Faulty plugs, lights and over-loaded electrical sockets could cause fires. The California Department of Consumer Affiars, reminds you to make sure you are using holiday lighting properly.
And because LED holiday lights are cool to the touch, replacing your old strings of 7-watt bulbs with LED lights can decrease the chances of home fires.
An estimated 17,200 home fires started by candles were reported to public fire departments during 2004. Make sure open flames are not near drapes or flammable materials.
Home heating is the second highest cause of fires in the home, with chimneys and chimney connects accounting for the largest share of home heating fire incidents (40 percent). So, it may be a good time to have your chimney swept.
Underwriters Laboratories says consumers can cut their risk of dying in a home fire in half simply by having a smoke alarm in their homes.
So, if you don't have a smoke alarm...or if you know of someone without a smoke alarm...it would be a good holiday present.