Friday, April 13, 2012

Consumer Question: Electric Range


Q: Hi, Joe,



I called you on 3/31/12 about my 16 year old GE JSP28GP electric range oven that won't work.  The Bake, Broil and Clean buttons on the electronic keypad won't function anymore, though the other clock/timer buttons do work.  You said it might be the electronic control module that was bad and I told you that the part is discontinued and not available anymore.  You suggested trying to clean the keypad buttons with a clean range dampened wwith warm vinegar.  I'll try that today.

Two questions:
1. I forgot to ask if I should bother trying to test the temperature sensor and/or the heating elements with an ohm meter?

2. If I can't fix the range, can you recommend a good slide-in electric range, with a smooth top and front controls (no backsplash) that comes in black or stainless?

Thank you,
Ted

A: Hi, Ted,

Thanks for your note.

Both elements wouldn't go bad at the same time. You can remove them and check for continuity. There are two screws on the back wall that hold them in place. Pull it out gently and remove the two wires that hook onto them. I would shop for a Whirlpool range.


Regards,

Joe Gagnon

No comments:

Post a Comment