Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Consumer Question: Plugged Refrigerator Drain


Name: Terry

City: Plymouth

Inquery Type: Appliance repair question

Comments: I have a GE refrigerator, model # TFX25JRBBWW.  The freezer side is leaking water on the lower front left side.

After a little research, it appears this is the result of the drain being frozen over.  I removed all the ice build-up and poured a solution of warm water mixed with baking soda down the drain hole.  This worked for about 7-10 days, but after the ice build-up was back and was again dripping water.

When the look at the back of the unit, the fan does go on to start the evaporation process, but the drip pan doesn't look like it's seen water in years.

What am I doing wrong and can we get this to work as expected?  The unit is about 13 years old and I'm pretty handy.

By the way, was your wife a principal at Gallimore elementary school in Canton?  My daughter went there!

Thanks

Answer:
Hi Terry, thanks for your note. Yes my wife was the principal and the best they ever had. She still misses it but keeps herself busy with a ton of charity work. You are correct--the drain is plugged. To clean the drain you need to take a turkey baster filled with hot water and blow it through. Do this 3 or 4 times. Pouring something in there will only move the blockage a short way and then it will settle back to the original spot. I know you can fix this and let me know how it goes. Regards Joe Gagnon. 


No comments:

Post a Comment