Thursday, August 2, 2012

Consumer Question: Washing Machine Timer


Hi, Joe,


I have a Maytag Atlantis washer that stopped discharging water, in fact when I turn the control knob it will not do anything, except fill with water.  If I unplug the washer and let it sit for about 45 minutes, it will discharge water and spin.  I noticed a thin trickle of what appears to be a thinset oil (like 3 in 1 oil) coming from under the trim skirt on the control knob.  I suspect that the timer has failed.  Before I buy a new timer, is it possible that there is a problem with the transmission/clutch?  It was late last night when I discovered the problem and I didn't think to try and run the washer through a full cycle, I was more concerned with getting the water and clothes out.


So my question is, is there a way to test the timer vs. transmission source of the problem without tearing the machine apart or randomly replacing parts?

Thank you,
Trevor

A: Hi, Trevor,


Thanks for your note. 


I don't suspect the transmission is bad and there is no oil in the timer. The oily substance could be the splash of detergent that builds up in that area. The fact that you have to let it sit before it works could mean that the motor is overheating or there could be problems with the electronics. I suggest you call for service before you start purchasing parts for this machine.

Regards,
Joe Gagnon

No comments:

Post a Comment